Monday 12 August 2013

Celebrating Love

This past weekend my parents celebrated their 39th wedding anniversary. That is a very long time! I know couples who did not even make it to two years.....some who did not even clear year one! Now, my parents have not had the perfect marriage.....not by any means. They have had to endure their fair share of ups and downs, but, through it all, they managed to stay together. For better, for worse, for richer, for poorer, in sickness and in health, they made it. 



I remember when they renewed their vows after 25 years of marriage. As I watched and listened to my parents repeat the vows that they said when they began their journey, I could see and feel that they meant something different. Each phrase was no longer a promise to commit to a life they had yet to live. Twenty-five years of hardships, happiness, trials, and triumphs where now the fuel that spoke of the testimony of the life that had lived, together. 

As they cross this new milestone, I can only imagine what they see when they look into each other's eyes. The love of God, which is the foundation of their love for each other, continues to have the capacity to carry them. This is the same commitment that I vowed to my husband 12 years ago and I know that, with God's grace, our children will have the privilege of hearing us renew our vows one day. I pray that they will see in our commitment to each other that marriage does work, love is worth fighting for, and that time revealed the true depth of our love to each other.

Mom and Dad, thank you for your inspirational love. 


"And now these three remain: faith, hope and love. But the greatest of these is love." 1 Corinthians 13:13


2 comments: